Many homeowners look to add value to their homes in Oxford by making changes to them over time. This may be something as simple as a new external coat of paint, landscaping or new windows. However, what if you could increase the value of your home while gaining more living space at the same time? Well, the good thing is that you can and a loft conversion or a house extension are some of the best ways to get the best of both worlds.
What is a loft conversion
A loft or attic conversion is the building process of turning an unused loft space into an extra bedroom or functional living space. This may involve some structural changes to the roofing trusses depending on the type of loft conversion you choose. However, if you’re thinking of a DIY loft conversion, perhaps you may want to think again. A loft conversion is a complex undertaking which you must approach with care.
Do I require planning permission for a loft conversion?
One great thing about choosing a loft conversion as a way to add value to your home is that in most cases, you do not need to apply for planning permission. Standard loft conversions fall under permitted development rights in Oxford, although you need to keep within certain limits and conditions. Some of these limits and conditions include:
- Your property must not be within designated land such as a conservation area
- Any additional roof space you create must be less than 40 cubic meters for a terraced house and under 50 cubic metres for a detached or semi-detached house
- Select materials to keep the appearance of the house the same
- The height of the loft conversion must not exceed the height of the existing roof
So, in simple terms, if you keep your loft conversion to the parameters of permitted development, you will not need planning permission.
What are some of the benefits of converting my loft?
Now that you know what a loft conversion is, we’ll talk about some of the benefits of a loft conversion. Here are some of the most common reasons homeowners come to us to have their loft converted:
- Add value to your home – Nationwide approximates a loft conversion results in as much as 20% uplift in an average property’s value.
- Save on moving costs – moving homes and upsizing costs the average family thousands of pounds each time they move. Stamp duty, buying and selling costs plus moving costs all add up.
- Enjoy additional space – instead of moving house to gain an additional bedroom, converting a loft instead will achieve the same result, at a lower cost.
- Save time and money – a loft conversion takes between 4 and 6 weeks depending on the size and type. Since most of the work is under your roof, your attic conversion can proceed at any time of the year. Compared to moving house or a house extension, loft conversions are comparatively cheaper.
How much do loft conversions cost?
A variety of factors will affect how much you will pay for a loft conversion. The size and type of conversion you want are just two factors. At Lynch Brother Homes we have done loft conversions in Oxford for many families over the years. Please contact us now for a free no-obligation quotation.
Adding Value with a House Extension
There is a limit to the amount of space you will gain with a loft conversion. If you want a lower impact solution to add an extra bedroom or office space, then an attic conversion will do. However, if you dream of a much bigger house with an extra-large open plan kitchen plus extra bedrooms, perhaps an extension is the answer.
Is planning permission required for a house extension?
Both your loft conversion or house extension may fall under “permitted development”. The planning portal will give you more information if you’d like to know more about the different scenarios which do or do not need planning permission. Your builder may offer some help with the planning process to ensure everything goes smoothly.
Is my house suitable for an extension?
In all the years we’ve been working in the building trade we have rarely come across a house that wasn’t suitable for an extension. If you’re looking for a house extension builder in Oxford then we can help create the bigger home you’ve always wanted.
How much does a house extension cost?
Home extensions come in all different shapes, forms and sizes so there’s no one answer to the question of cost. One thing we can tell you though, choosing the right builder to construct your extension is a crucial part of any project. Please contact us now for a free no-obligation quotation.
Why build an extension?
So why build an extension in the first place? Many homeowners dream of a bigger house or a larger open-plan kitchen-diner filled with light. They dream of that perfect home offering the comfort they desire for their family as it grows. Often it means families have to move several times over the years. However, there are some families who have found their perfect home and love where they live and never want to move.
If you are one such family, a building extension may help you live in your dream home without having to up roots and go elsewhere. Here are more reasons why building an extension is such a great idea:
- You can create the living space of your dreams without having to make compromises on the things you like
- It keeps your family’s roots intact without all the upheaval of moving to a different town or city
- You increase the value of your home and often it’s cheaper than buying a comparable house after the extension is complete
- Save time and money on the costs associated with moving house from selling fees, mortgage applications and solicitors
Finding a local and reliable building extension contractor in Oxford has never been easier. At Lynch Brother Homes we specialise in building house extensions to help you create your dream home.
What’s better a loft conversion or house extension?
How about both? You see, sometimes it’s not about choosing one option over another. Let me explain. If your immediate need is for an extra bedroom let’s say, a loft conversion would be the ideal short to a medium-term solution.
However, if you suddenly find yourself craving additional space and feel you have your ideal house, an extension can easily turn it into your forever home.
Whichever option you choose, you have the guarantee that you will have more space and a home built to your specification.
Here’s what to do next
If you like the idea of having that extra room in your home, whether as an additional bedroom or perhaps a home office, we can help. Lynch Brother Homes specialise in the construction of bespoke loft conversions and home extensions in Oxford. Please contact us now for a free no-obligation quotation.