Do your research!
- Firstly start by writing down all of the works you want carrying out before you ask anyone in to quote.
- Make sure you include jobs you want doing now and potential jobs you want to do in the future as this may affect the way the first jobs are carried out. For example, if you want a two-story extension but can only afford a one-story now, foundations need to be laid.
- You may sell in the future, check the home improvements will add rather than detract from the value of your property.
- Are there any restrictions to works to your property, eg is it a leasehold or a listed building.
- If a builder claims to belong to an organisation or they employ a plumber or gas engineer, check their membership is up to date.
- Ask to visit other properties the builder has worked on, you may want to ask to speak to a previous client.
- Do ask what insurances the builder has so you can work out if you need additional insurances.
- Make sure you sign the contracts of work.
- What guarantees will they give you for the work? Alert the contractor to issues they need to be aware of, eg if any of your family are asthmatic or affected by dust, as well as required start and finish times.
- Ask for quotes to be broken down as much as possible.
- Make sure you understand what is and isn’t included in the quotation.
- Make sure you agree when and how you will pay. Eg “stage” payments at the end of each week or at specific stages of your ongoing project. The builder may require you to pay a deposit or upfront for materials.
Lynch Brother Homes have been your trusted Builder in Oxford since 1984, we are always happy to show you around past projects and/or even introduce you to past clients. Just ask!